Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Flags

Today was my last day of teaching preschool....EVER!  Not that I'm excited or anything,  just possibly a little trunky.  So trunky, in fact, that I got to the end of preschool today and realized that we never even did circle time.  

(Don't worry I've already awarded myself the Spacey Teacher Award of the day, so you don't need to nominate me again). 

So what did we do all day if we didn't have circle time?

First we went outside and practiced looking all patriotic and cute.... 


As you can see....

it wasn't hard for them....

looking patriotic....
or cute....


They were all eager models...

with eager smiles...


After wearing out our smiling muscles we came back in and started working on our Flag Booklets.  It was crazy and I didn't take a single picture of the process, but they spent their time...

Making and decorating their booklet covers (oodles of cheap stickers were used in the process)....

 Affixed flag stickers from different countries around the world...

I had done this page in advance with the velcroed flag...

 This page was to help us remember that we live in a free country...

This page reminds us that we should take off our hats when we sing the Star Spangled Banner or say the Pledge of Allegiance.  They thought the movable hat was kind of cool....

 This page was time consuming for them.  They each traced their hand and cut it out.  I then laminated it and attached some Velcro to it, so they could stick it to the heart on the page.  We talked a lot about how we should put our right hands over our hearts to show respect for the flag.  Figuring out which one of their hands was the right one was a fun challenge too. :)

 This is where all the posing and looking cute at the beginning came in handy.  They each glued their cute patriotic picture down to this page with the Pledge of Allegiance. 

 This page was to remind us that we should never let the flag touch the ground.  Once again, they really liked the movable flag and pole. 

 This page showed them that there is a proper way to fold a flag.  We talked about how flags are rectangle shaped, but when we fold them they should end up looking like a triangle.

 And here was where I just threw in as many of the cute pictures as possible....


 And afterward we ate lunch, then listened to the Star Spangled Banner and practiced our flag etiquette (taking off our hats and placing our right hands over our hearts).  Everyone went home with 2 flags and a reminder that they shouldn't let them stay on the ground. 

Although I may have sent them off from their second to last day of preschool with a poor reminder of structure, it was a fun day and we all learned a lot together! 

3 comments:

alexandra said...

Wow, Lara! That is one amazing book. Gavin loves his, and Daniel had me carry his bag to the car from preschool because he had to hold the flags and the book.

Did you make that book from scratch?

Lara said...

I did make the book from scratch. I had created a similar one a few years ago for Adam's preschool, so I used that as a starting point for this year's version, but I did come up with the idea myself.

Katherine said...

We just love her book, Lara. That'll be the perfect thing to tuck into her school scrapbook to remind us of this great year and her friends. Thanks.