Tuesday, January 12, 2010

GiddyUp, Partner!

At the end of preschool today, seven boys were transformed into cowboys complete with a hat, bandana, and stick horse to take home...




We enjoyed learning about horses by playing "Book Swap." I had seven different books about horses. I set the timer and told each person to look through their book (to see different kinds of horses, what they look like, what they eat, how to take care of them) for two minutes.
When I rang the bell, everyone froze, and they passed the book to the next person in the circle. Each kid saw each book and as they looked through them, we talked about what they saw. And I learned something too -- I found out a pony is NOT a baby horse (which is a foal). A pony has shorter legs so it's a small horse.
Then we played "Pin the Tail on the Pony."

(They liked comparing the distance of where the tails ended up.)


While boys waiting for their turns to get blindfolded, they cut out "ay" (such as hay) word wheels to practice reading and saying the "ay" chunk...


And instead of "Duck, Duck Goose" we played "Horse, Horse Pony!"...
... and we practiced writing on our "H" sheets and did a dot-to-dot horse picture.
After many horse activities and much "horsing" around... the cowboys enjoyed a hearty lunch.

1 comment:

Deanne said...

Sounds like a great day! I love the idea of the timed book swap. I might try to incorporate that into my lesson sometime.