Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Goals for the new year

On Tues (5th) we talked about goals. The boys probably thought there was a lot of talking and not nearly enough goofing around, but I think they still had fun. There was, of course, plenty of goofing around.

The goofing around started when we were doing singing time during circle time. The song was "if you're happy and you know it". Well, when you have 6 boys, there will be no clapping. They jumped around like monkeys and shook their bums. Then during "Old MacDonald's Farm", we had llamas, aliens, frogs, and the usual dogs and ducks.

This year we have a goal to focus more on writing our letters and our names. We read a treasure hunt book about finding the letters within the pictures. The boys really liked that, but soon grew weary of taking turns so we only made it as far as the letter "N". We all practiced our ABC's and had Alpha-Bit cereal for a snack. We all worked on writing our names. During our snack we talked about goals and what they are, how to do them, and why they're important. We each made our own goals for the year including how to take care of my body, helping my family, and what do I want to learn before Kindergarten starts. I also made goals, so remind me to exercise daily!

We watched a video about Heber J. Grant and talked about how he worked hard to learn how to do things. I forgot to prepare a magnet with his favorite quote, so that will happen on Thurs.

The boys put together some puzzles because doing a puzzle is an example of a good goal. We will do the harder ones on Thurs.

The boys were getting restless by this time to go play and eat lunch, so our last activity of the morning was making a person that's all about things that I'm good at and things I want to learn how to do. Most of the boys said they were really good at playing video games. The boys did come up with some really good goals however, and I hope they all accomplish them. I forgot to take pictures, but here is one of the finished goal people.

No comments: