Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oceans

Oct 20, 2009

Today we talked about oceans. We talked about where they are, what's in them, and what they're made out of. Here are some of our activities of the day.

We started out the day by playing with play-do. The boys were very creative with the cookie cutters and the play-do.

Then we had circle time. We talked about different words that begin with the letter "O", and we practiced writing our names and the number 3. We read a few books about oceans. The boys liked "10 Little Rubber Ducks" by Eric Carle. It's about 10 rubber ducks that get lost in the ocean. I learned from the boys that there is a quacking button at the end of the book. So we all took many turns pushing the button that quacked.

Then we played a game of what does and does not go in an ocean.
I had various thing in a bag for the boys to pull out and they all had to decide if it went in an ocean or not. Notice that Dora and Batman do NOT belong in an ocean!

After our game we went to the table for a snack of blue jello and Swedish fish. I made the jello and then when it was mostly set I pushed in the fish so it looked like it was swimming in blue water. It was a yummy, sugary snack.

Then we made our own aquariums. The boys had fun choosing their ocean stickers. Of course I had to make sure that I had enough sharks for everyone. Funny how no one was interested in the pink dolphins! After choosing their stickers, they glued on their blue celo wrap, and we stapled the plates together. I'm sorry that I didn't get a picture of the finished product, but you all know what they ended up looking like. Here they are in the middle of making their aquariums.

After our craft we had to go "Feed the shark"

The boys took turns throwing beanbags into the shark's mouth. I think they all enjoyed it.

After feeding the shark they all played downstairs until it was time for lunch. I think we all had fun today. And I hope that they learned something.

No comments: